Frequently Asked Questions for Texas Family and Friends


What's the difference between the Offender Trust Fund account and the Offender Telephone account?
Offender Trust Fund accounts, also known as Commissary accounts, are the accounts offenders use to purchase commissary items, subscriptions, snacks, etc. An Offender Telephone account is the account used to pay for phone calls.

How do I put money on an offender's account?
You can fund two different offender accounts with JPay; the Offender Trust Fund and the Offender Telephone account. Click here to fund the Offender Trust Fund, click here to fund the Offender Telephone account.

NOTE: Offenders are allowed to move money from their Offender Trust Fund to their Offender Telephone account when they go to Commissary.

How do I put money on an offender's phone card?

Offenders do not have phone cards. Friends and family members can fund the Offender's Telephone account.

I accidentally put money on the wrong account. What do I do?
Use the following two scenarios for guidance:

1. You funded the Offender Trust Fund account when you meant to fund the Offender Telephone account:
The offender can transfer money from his/her Offender Trust Fund account to their Offender Telephone account when they go to the Commissary.

2. You funded the Offender Telephone account when you meant to fund the Offender Trust Fund account:
The offender will need to request the transfer of those funds by using the Offender Assistance Request form (pink form) located at the Unit. Completed forms should be submitted to the mail room and will be forwarded to phone vendor for action.


How long does it take for an offender to get my eMessage?
eMessages are printed daily (excluding weekends and holidays) in the mail room and delivered to offenders. Depending on when your message is sent, your message typically is delivered in within a 48 hour period.

Can an offender eMessage me back?
Offenders do not have access to computers or the internet. Any response from your offender will be mailed out using regular U.S. Postal Service mail.

I want to send a picture with my eMessage, how does the offender view the picture?
All messages and attachments are printed in black and white on standard white computer paper via the mailroom and distributed with the mail.

If an offender transfers from one unit to another, will my eMessage be transferred to his new unit?
Yes, if the offender is transferred, the eMessage will also be transferred and delivered to the offender's unit of assignment.

How do I know if an offender can receive eMessages?
You will not be able to send your eMessage on the website if an offender is located at a site that cannot receive eMessages.

Do I have to be on the offender's visitor's list to send eMessages to an offender?
No, anyone with internet access can set up an account and send an eMessage.

Is there a limit of words on eMessages sent to an offender?

No, eMessages are sent on a per page basis.

Money transfer to Offender Trust Fund account/Commissary account:

How do I send money to my Offender's Trust Fund account/Commissary account?
You can send money by using your credit or debit card 24 hours a day, 7 days a week online at or by calling JPay toll free at 1-800-574-5729 and speaking to a Customer Service Agent.

If I don't a credit or debit card, can I still send money?
Yes, you can visit any MoneyGram location nationwide with receive code 3570 and send a MoneyGram Express payment.